Friday, April 26, 2013

Alia and the First Grade Talent Show


Recently, experiencing an unusually strong wave of Friday afternoon procrastination, I responded to an email with an animated file of a little boy who was dancing in a way that would put the latest ballroom dancing competition participant to shame if only for the spirit behind it. 
This little guy had the moves and was not afraid to use them.   It wasn’t until later that I realized why I had felt so strongly about this boy and his dancing.   This boy was me.   I had done this exact thing, minus the video camera (which hadn’t yet been invented for personal use) when I was in the first grade.
What follows is my recollection with a smattering of observation from 33 years hence.
 
Alia and the First Grade Talent Show
                I’m not sure exactly when it was announced that our school would be holding a talent show.   I’m not even sure how I came to the idea that I would do a dance routine ala the currently popular Saturday Night Fever except that I seem to recall my step-sister Tracy and her friends mimicking routines and my watching them do so.  Each in their satin jackets, they argued and fussed about what each dance was called and how to execute them for hours on Saturday afternoons.
I want to think it was “Funky Town” I chose for my entry, but something tells me it might have been “Le Freak”.   Knowing what I know now about “Le Freak”, I’m going to continue under the “Funky Town” delusion if you don’t mind.  
                You know, I don’t even remember how it is I came by a .45 single of the song or how I signed up,  but there I was in the gym with the little black disc in its paper sleeve.  I clutched it so tightly to my chest while waiting on the wooden bleachers for my turn that I had to keep replacing the little widget which kept the 45 on the record player.  Anyone younger than I  am will more than likely not remember those, but Google tells me they’re called “spiders’.
                Since this is more about what I remember and not what I don’t, suffice it to say that the concrete details of how I had come to this point apparently never made it to the memory file cabinet or at best, are misfiled and I will stumble upon them later.  This next part, though…this part is crystal clear.
                It was almost my turn to audition but I was not nervous.  Coming off of my previous critical acclaim as “Susie Snowflake” in kindergarten and my stoic portrayal of The Marine for the Veteran’s Day lesson earlier that year, I had it in the bag.  I had been watching carefully and it was going to be simple.  That-that,  then this and that and turn for as long as it takes for the record to play.  Simple.
                The principal of my school, who was a thin, birdish woman with a severely short haircut sat with a tall woman who had Farrah Fawcett feathered bangs.   I am still fascinated by how feathering works, by the way.  I think she was the combined music and art teacher. 
There they were sitting behind a folding table under the basketball hoop, each with black and white theme notebooks and each with a blue Bic ball point pen.  Actually, this moment might be why I feel compelled to buy these pens when I see them, with their transparent barrels and small blue caps which haven’t changed since 1970.   I love those pens.
                The Farrah Fawcett lady called me over and stood to take  the record from me, raising her eyebrows at the title of the song before placing on the player and setting the arm.
                “Okay.” She said as she went to retake her metal folding seat. “Show us your routine.”
                The first few notes of the song got by me before I found my rhythm and I began performing the moves I had seen my step-sister do, over and over.  When coming back from a spin on the fifth repetition, I noticed a glance passing between the two women which at the time I interpreted as “Good gracious, how did we not know that we had this kind of talent here?  Right here at, Presumpscott Elementary, we have such grace and style and it has passed under our noses as this peculiar little girl!”
                Having been in their shoes as an adult, I’m pretty sure now that that look meant “Good gracious, how on earth do we sit through this without laughing?” 
Nevertheless, I danced.  I danced and I danced and when I felt I had done it in one place too long, I started dancing from corner to corner of the rectangle laid out for jump shots.   By that point, I was ready for the song to be over, but it played on and on I danced.  I left the comfort of the learned routine and went tribal, calling upon the synthesized music and bassline to tell me what my body would do.   I worked it. Oh yes, I did
                Eventually, the song wound down and the arm automatically returned to its carriage.  A gym, if you remember, is nothing but noise.    The only sound that could be heard was the soft whirr of the record player as the turn table revolved.   Farrah Fawcett looked at the principal.  The Principal returned her gaze and they kept on looking at each other until someone behind me giggled.
                It was then that The Principal turned slowly back to me, as if she was using those moments to call upon every ounce of poise and grace she possessed.   I know that now.   At the time, I thought they were trying to conjure the words for my magnificence.
                “Thank you.” She said.  “Ahh….that was nice.   Did you ..um…learn that on your own?”  I had never heard The Principal use “Um” before.  She was one of those ladies who corrected you for saying “ain’t” and wouldn’t give you what you were sent to the office to retrieve without replacing “Can I” with “may I”.   I must have really amazed her, I thought.
                “Yes.” I answered. “Well…my step sister taught me some.  I made up the rest.”
                She glanced back at Farrah Fawcett again and then back to me.  “I see.”
                Farrah cleared her throat and thanked me as well before they both sent me back to Mrs. Laughlin’s classroom. 
                Some time  went by and an announcement came that the Principal and Farrah Fawcett had thought very, very hard about everyone’s entry and since there were so many (and mine was so interesting, I thought to myself. Clearly, they were just going to offer me First Place and forget the show…) that they had called for second auditions.  
                Second auditions?   I had wowed them the first time, sure, but that had been improvised…off the cuff…they really expected me to do that again?   Now, for you adults, logic is going to tell you that it would have been that way anyway, because there was still the show to do.  My logic, which is non-linear even now, did not allow for a repeat performance as good as the one before.   There was no way.  It was a “one and done”so to speak.  I would have to do the whole thing again, replicating the free style.  How was I going to do that?
                In the end, my second audition was lackluster.  This was mostly due to the fact that not only could I not repeat the improvised portions of the routine, but by that point I had forgotten the rehearsed parts as well, as children do when something more pressing replaces the events of the past.  Chocolate milk for lunch or the fact that you’ve been scolded for licking the red macaroni pieces that were meant for the art project, for instance.   You see, it’s not that children are forgetful as much as they make more room for the present and as life moves along, adults seem to make more room for the past and future.
I was let down lightly with a “Keep working on it.”  I watched the show with my class, slightly miffed that I wasn’t in it, but mostly relieved.  My older sister, who already found me an endless source of embarrassment, was eternally grateful as I found out later but that’s her story to tell. 
The winners were a pair of brothers who lip-synced in costume to an old folk song and the runner up was a girl who could play the theme from “Days of Our Lives” on the piano.  I learned through this experience that jumping into things and expecting instant success isn’t the best approach most of the time and since then, I’ve tried quite a few things, but have yet to reach the level of fame and fortune I was expecting for my debut at Presumpscott School.
 This is most true when it comes to writing.  I’ve been doing it since I could hold a pencil and make scratches into words, but I have never been widely published and I am certainly not living in the brick loft apartment in New York City my high school self predicted.   The best I can do is take Farrah’s advice and keep working on it.

No comments: